Whitehead's free speech legacy includes ...
- Being sued by a pair of students at Everett High School who were unfairly censored;
- Watching a pair of her high schools' newspapers (Everett and Cascade) head underground because of repressive administrative practices;
- Suspending and nearly expelling a student for "working on" one of those underground papers and suspending a journalism teacher for allowing it;
- The tacit endorsement of secret video surveillance on that teacher; and
- The relocation of the journalism teachers at both Everett and Cascade to another school in the district.
Whitehead said she decided to up the time frame of her retirement from January to September because of a recent threat on her life.